Sunday, May 06, 2007

Erris still without Recycling: Barrett

I have recently written to Mayo Co. Council to force the private bin collector to provide recycling facilities in the Erris area. Barrett is angered that, 3 months after the privatisation of the bin service, the private operator has failed to provide a bin for recycling.

I am contacted on a weekly basis about this issue. Erris, the size of Co. Louth, has no recycling facility, 3 months on after privatisation. All rubbish in Erris currently goes into landfill despite the calls by the people for recycling facilities. This is a disgrace and goes to show how little is thought of the needs of the people of the Erris area.

“I am informed that this company has a waste licence that is up for renewal shortly. I am also informed that they are still using the Council bins. How has this been allowed to continue? I have written to the Environmental section of Mayo Co. Council to investigate the matter.

I want the company to roll out its recycling bins immediately. I also want a proper recycling facility placed in the Belmullet to cater for the needs of residents. At the moment the only facility is a grubby, filthy, bottle bank located in a totally inaccessible area in Belmullet town. The attitude seems to be, “ah sure it’s good enough, it’ll do.” Under EU environmental law, it’s not good enough and I will pursue this issue until these laws are upheld

Ends: Harry Barrett 087 9713268

No comments:

Harry Barrett Labour Party Candidate

Harry Barrett Labour Party Candidate